The Last Lie She Told by K.J. McGillick


Lies and misdirection rule the game.

To some, Fiona O’Dell is clever and manipulative. To others, she is a dangerous sociopath. One thing is certain - she’s trouble wherever she goes. Now she has vanished from her job, but not before being seen leaving a motel room where one man is found dead, another on the edge of death. Is this grizzly crime scene a BDSM encounter gone wrong? Or is it related to a company data breach where all three are employed? 


Private security expert Lee Stone and NYPD Detective Belle Hughes are assigned to the case. In a race to find Fiona, they track her across four states and shocked to find men from her past are being murdered. With little information and even less evidence, each new crime scene brings more questions than answers.


While secrets are revealed, there is only one conclusion: Fiona controls the game, the players, even the course of the investigation. The danger escalates, and the game must be mastered, or all fall victim to it. As Lee and Belle struggle to put all the pieces together, the two investigators find their relationship heats up as they are drawn to each other. Looking for a murder mystery with a feisty female detective that’s filled with twists and turns? Explore The Last Lie She Told for a thrill ride that leaves you guessing until the end.
Purchase Links
The Last Lie She Told is 99p/c for until the 14th August.



When you develop characters do you already know who they are before you begin writing or do you let them develop as you go? 

For each book my characters developed differently.

My first book THREE I had a very strong idea of who I wanted my characters to be and how they would live their lives. The way I developed my characters in my first book was to fill out a five-page character analysis on each character including a Myers Brigg analysis. Once I had the shape of the characters personality I then trolled the internet for pictures of what each would look like.  Once I put a picture to the person, then I chose a name based on what I wanted that person to portray. The next step was to find places that represented the setting of the book and again that came from pictures on the internet mostly real estate listings. When all of that was completed I story boarded everything and as I completed each chapter, I would place the poster board on the easel as inspiration.
I didn’t formulate my characters in my second book TWO until I wrote it and I wrote that book by the seat of my pants. The setting came easy because I have traveled to Paris many times and unlike a regular tourist I explored every corner of the city. The characters easily took form in my mind and I didn’t need a story board visualization. What challenged me in this book with my antagonist Adrien was the fact he was a doctor yet used his skills for evil. The challenge was making him human but with large flaws that were self-imposed. In this book I did not do any character analysis ahead of time nor any story boarding possibly because I felt each character on a visceral level in my mind when I started.

ONE was the last book in the series and as I was already acquainted with all the characters from the first and second book there really was no need for further character analysis for the heavy hitters in the book. The new characters I introduced sprung from my imagination as I developed the manuscript and refined them on paper. This book was the most difficult to write and without an outline I wrote the book three time in full trashing the first two manuscripts until I accepted the third. So by the time I had finished the final version I was well acquainted with the characters. 

The present book The Last Lie She Told was born from a lunch conversation at a Japanese restaurant with a friend from a political science class. Our lunch conversation revolved around our previous jobs and low and behold a fascinating story emerged about a narcissistic student who had a volatile past that negatively impacted every person she met. When my friend told me there was no end to the story because she disappeared without a trace I decided to give my own an ending to the story. This book unlike my last two I used a 7 point plot wheel to develop the essential scenes and while doing that also sketched out my characters based on the theme of the book second chances and redemption.

As I begin the next book, I will once again fall back onto an outline and character analysis to help me craft a complex story with complicate characters.







Author Bio – K. J. McGillick was born in New York and once she started to walk she never stopped running. But that's what New Yorker's do. Right?



As she evolved so did her career choices. After completing her graduate degree in nursing she spent many years in the university setting sharing the dreams of the enthusiastic nursing students she taught. After twenty rewarding years in the medical field she attended law school and has spent the last twenty-four years as an attorney helping people navigate the turbulent waters of the legal system. Not an easy feat. And now? Now she is sharing the characters she loves with readers hoping they are intrigued by her twisting and turning plots and entertained by her writing.



11th – 13th August -  Three:Deception  Love Murder also by K.J. McGilick will be FREE



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Days To Forever ~ Lauren Carr

A Fanciful Twist's 8th Annual Virtual MAD TEA Party Extra special, as it is the 150th anniversary of Alice in Wonderland ♥

Alicia Connected: Tricked with Treats by Derek Fisher