Hair in all the Wrong Places 3





A menacing shadow looms over Elkwood, as a dark and sinister evil creeps into town. Only Colin Strauss can feel it happening.
 He is a werewolf, after all.

Hair in all the Wrong Places #3
by Andrew Buckley
Release Date: October 30, 2018
Publisher: Month9Books
Purchase Links:


A routine Night Watch mission ends with Colin rescuing a mysterious girl from monster hunters, causing shock waves threatening to rock the town of Elkwood to its very foundations. Just when Colin thinks things can’t get any worse, he starts having girl problems.

If anyone is up to the task, it’s Colin. In the past year, he’s faced an evil biology teacher, defeated a power-hungry wizard, and united a group of unlikely creatures and freaks to defend their home.

Can Colin defeat the growing evil, evade ancient monster hunters, and not mess things up with his sort-of girlfriend?

Having hair in all the wrong places is fast becoming the least of Colin’s problems . . .




Road to Publication

My road to publication was a little backwards. Rather than a straight route, it’s more of a meandering journey through a complex cave system complete with an occasional dragon. Though in speaking to other authors, I’ve learned that the road is rarely straight. Sometimes there are sharp drop-offs, occasionally there are short cuts, and on rare occasions you may even find a cow blocking the path entirely.

I completed my first and second novels before I even got a whiff of a publishing contract. I was of the mindset that the only way to publish a book was to get a literary agent first so I dedicated all my query-writing energy to that method. After over a hundred rejections I began to wonder if I was doing the right thing with my life. Yes, it took at least a hundred before I started questioning myself. It was one agent in particular who, in a rather nicely written rejection letter, suggested I build myself an online presence. And why not? Facebook was getting bigger and bigger all the time and the celebrity use of Twitter had turned the micro-blogging platform into the next step in the evolution of social media.

I built a simple website, stating exactly why I’d done so and I started blogging about pretty much anything including writing, book reviews, movie reviews, quirky fiction pieces, and more. I also started using Facebook and Twitter in an extensive manner. I met some amazing people and made friends who I’m still in contact with today. For a while I was part of an entire group who had come together simply because we thought the movie version of ‘Howard the Duck’ was so stupid that it was hilarious. I also started contributing to a writing blog called Curiosity Quills.

I’d met the owners, Lisa and Eugene, on Twitter and we shared a similar sense of humour. I lost contact with them for a year or two when I was writing my second novel, and when I re-connected they’d become an indie publishing house. Although I’d started to get bites on my work thanks to switching to sending queries to publishers instead of agents, I still didn’t have anything solid. Curiosity Quills ended up signing both novels, DEATH, THE DEVIL, AND THE GOLDFISH, and STILTSKIN. A year after signing with them, I started working for them as an acquisitions editor, reviewing queries, and shortly thereafter as the Acquisitions Manager (a position I still occupy). I later worked as the VP of Operations and re-structured their production department before returning to the Acquisitions Manager role in 2017.

Through working with the CQ team, I met my amazing literary agent, Mark Gottlieb at Trident Media Group in New York. Mark loves quirky humour (and cats) and in 2014 he signed me as a client for any future works, introduced me to my second publisher (Month9Books), and has represented me ever since. Three more releases later, and a fourth under contract, and I’m honoured, humbled, and happy to be a working author in what’s become an extremely challenging and competitive industry. The HAIR IN ALL THE WRONG PLACES series, published by Month9Books/Tantrum Books (part of the Georgia McBride Media Group), now has three instalments. My next book, THE FATE OF FREDDY MITCHELL, an MG paranormal adventure will be released in 2020, also from Month9Books :)

While it’s been a long road (I started writing novels in 2002, but wasn’t published until 2012) it’s been extremely educational and the only thing I can say is that perseverance in this industry truly pays off. It may not happen today, or tomorrow, or next week, or five years from now, but if you stick to doing what you love and you do it to the best of your ability, you’ll get there in the end. Just be prepared to deal with the occasional cow in the road.


OTHER BOOKS IN THE SERIES




Andrew Buckley attended the Vancouver Film School’s Writing for Film and Television program. After pitching and developing several screenplay projects for film and television, he worked in marketing and public relations, before becoming a professional copy and content writer. During this time Andrew began writing his first adult novel, DEATH, THE DEVIL AND THE GOLDFISH, followed closely by his second novel, STILTSKIN. He works as an editor for Curiosity Quills Press.
Andrew also co-hosts a geek movie podcast, is working on his next novel, and has a stunning amount of other ideas. He now lives happily in the Okanagan Valley, BC with three kids, one cat, one needy dog, one beautiful wife, and a multitude of characters that live comfortably inside of his mind.
Andrew is represented by Mark Gottlieb at the Trident Media Group.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Days To Forever ~ Lauren Carr

A Fanciful Twist's 8th Annual Virtual MAD TEA Party Extra special, as it is the 150th anniversary of Alice in Wonderland ♥

Alicia Connected: Tricked with Treats by Derek Fisher